Having a quick and easy dessert at hand for these long summer days can never be a bad thing especially when it is so simple, delicious and healthy! I present to you this Vegan Chocolate Mousse. We all have some chickpeas at hand- canned or fresh and this one made with the Aqua Faba is definitely a keeper.
Since there are so few ingredients in this recipe, I cannot emphasize enough how important it is that you pick an extremely good chocolate for this. My personal favorite is Guittard and I have been using this as long as I have been baking and can’t recommend it enough.
I have used canned chickpeas water in this recipe but have made it with liquid from homemade boiled chickpeas as well and it tastes the same.
Vegan Chocolate Mousse
- 1 cup aqua faba cold liquid from low sodium canned chickpeas or home cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice to stabilize
- 3/4 cup bitter sweet chocolate chopped I used guittard
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 1 tsp espresso powder optional
- In a double boiler method melt the chocolate to a creamy, shiny liquid. Alternately put the choc in a microwave safe bowl and cook in 30 sec intervals till smooth and creamy.
- In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment add the aqua faba and lemon juice till light and fluffy (small peaks like egg whites) for about 4 -5 minutes on medium speed.
- Add maple syrup to the chocolate and mix well. Now the chocolate might start tightening up but add the water and keep mixing till smooth texture is back. Dissolve the coffee in the water if using the espresso.
- Fold the chocolate into the aqua faba gently till it all comes together. Don't worry if the mix seems flat- it will come together once rested in the refrigerator.
- Pour into 6 cups and place in refrigerator overnight.
Serve it up with ice- cream, shaved chocolate and a drizzle of this bing cherry compote
Easy summer dessert that will be on the repeat :). Show me your creations @beyond.curry and don’t forget to tag me so I can share it too.