Come weekdays and I am trying to come up with easy to make, healthy and meals that can be enjoyed by everybody. Of course ‘Tikka’ is very synonymous with Indian cuisine but really the flavors of the marinade can make any dish sing!
I decided to use tofu because I feel it is either under appreciated or blended into dishes because it does not have a very distinct taste. Well not when you take out all the water and marinate it with these few pantry staples.
You can really eat this salad warm or at room temperature and adding a few fresh vegetables for crunch will take this dish to a whole new level! My personal favorite are these radishes that I picked up at the farmers’ market. If you try something different do let me know.
This dish is really easy to assemble and the tofu can be made ahead of time as well. if you do decide to eat it warm, try and warm it in the pan or a toaster oven to keep the nice crisp skin on top.
You can always substitute the tofu with paneer, shrimp, chicken or a white fish keeping the exact same marinade.
Tofu 'Tikka' Salad
For the tofu
- 14 oz medium hard tofu 1 pack
- 2 tsp freshly grated garlic
- 1 tsp fresh ginger paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder/ kashmiri mirch
- 1 tsp coriander powder/ dhania
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves/ kasoori methi
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tsp greek yogurt see note
- 1/2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour / besan see note
For the salad
- 6 no small radishes
- 3 cups salad leaves see note
- 1 tbsp oilve oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp agave or honey
- Drain the tofu from the water and press it down with a heavy object for 15 minutes to get rid off excess water.
- Now cut the tofu into 3 inch cubes, sprinkle a tsp of salt and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk all the ingredients and only 1 tsp oil. Add in the tofu, toss lightly so as to coat the pieces well
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or upto 8 hours.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan preferably a cast iron, at medium high. Add the remaining oil and once hot, add the marinaded tofu.
- Keep the heat at medium high and keep moving the tofu around till you see a nice crisp skin form.
- Now reduce the heat to medium and cook for another 10 minutes and check for salt.
- Wash the salad leaves. I like a mix of aragula and spinach but pick what is easy
- Slice the radishes into thin circles.
- Whisk in the dressing and taste to adjust seasonings.
- Toss the salad leaves and radish with the dressing and check for seasoning.
- Arrange a generous serving in a bowl and top with the tikka tofu pieces.
- Dig in!
- You can always substitute regular yogurt for greek yogurt
- Try and use a good spring mix for the crunch- I would avoid lettuce for this one
And there you have it a delicious, healthy meal. Serve it up with some bread, vegetable chips or eat as is. You can also put a few dollops of the green chutney and add the oomph of spice to the salad.
Hope you try this easy meal . As always leave a comment and tag beyond curry