Weeknight meals are all about keeping it simple and all in one pan if possible. Been trying to eat more plant based meals during the week and while using simple ingredients, creating the fresh and familiar flavors is key. I present to you the Tofu Tikka Masala – a great substitute to paneer tikka masala
The key ingredient for keeping this recipe simple is the pataks tikka masala that I always keep at hand when dinners are going to be a quick fix. This is a staple in my house and cannot recommend it highly enough. The rest is really quite simple and comes together really quickly.
Tofu Tikka Masala
- 1 pack medium hard tofu 14 0z cut into 2" cubes
- 1 tbsp Pataks tikka masala paste dissolved in some hot water
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 bell pepper thinly sliced seeds removed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp coconut cream thinned with 1 tsp water see notes
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves chopped
- Cut the tofu and toss it in the tikka masala paste along with 1/2 tsp of oil and a pinch of salt. Set aside for 15 minutes
- Heat a flat bottom pan on medium high. Add oil followed by the onions and a pinch of salt. Sauté for 5-7 minutes on medium heat till the onions soften and turn pink.
- Add the bell peppers and sauté for another 3-5 minutes till they soften and lose the raw taste.
- Add the marinaded tofu and increase the heat to medium high and toss everything together. Lower the flame to medium low and add the water. Let it simmer for 10 minutes till semi dry.
- Lastly add the coconut cream, mix well check for salt and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve hot.
- If serving with rice/ quinoa add more water while simmering and taste for salt.
- The dish goes really well with rotis, tortillas or any flatbread of choice.
- You can always substitute paneer for tofu.
- If using paneer swap sour cream /yogurt for coconut cream.
This is a great make ahead dish that pairs well with rice and flat bread. You can also top it on a salad by reducing the amount of water and drying up the tofu masala more. This is a great substitute for my vegan friends and anybody looking to eat more plant based meals.
Would love to hear from y’all and if you do share on the gram and don’t forget to tag @beyond.curry.