Summer is just around the corner. There is a lot of grilling, salads and really simple foods eaten during this time of the year. But once in a while when its a cloudy day or you need a bowl of goodness that is fresh, simple and really easy to make thats when this recipe comes in. I present to you Tia Missy’s Kale & Bean Soup with chicken sausage. You could just call it a Kale and bean soup but this is what my son calls it.My friend makes this soup pretty regularly and its amazing the complex flavor profile a simple bowl can have. The main ingredients in my version are kale, cannelini beans, chicken sausage, tomatoes and homemade chicken stock.
You can use store bought chicken stock too- I just always have a batch on hand. The recipe is quite versatile and you can always use vegetable stock instead. Andoulie sausage makes a great addition and if vegetarian, you can add potatoes and some soy chorizo as well to the soup.
The whole dish comes together in less than an hour and when you serve a hot bowl with some shaved parmesan, it is simply perfect.
Tia M's Kale & Bean Soup
- 1 bunch kale fresh coarsely chopped
- 1 can cannelini beans 15 oz
- 1 cup baby tomatoes halved
- 4 no chicken sausage sliced into circles
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 no shallot finely chopped
- 1 no bay leaf
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp chilli powder optional
- parmesan rind optional
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat the olive oil and add bay leaf, garlic and shallots. Saute on medium high till shallots turn light pink for 5 minutes.
- Add the sausages and deglaze with some of the stock. Saute the sausages for another 7 minutes till they get a nice golden color.
- Add the kale and salt and saute till the kale softens for another 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and stir till the skin bursts. Crush with the back of the spoon and check for salt. Season accordingly.
- Add all the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Lower heat, add the parmesan rind and put a lid to simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Uncover, stir and remove the rind and check for seasoning.
- Ladle into bowls, shave some parmesan and serve.
A bowl of goodness introduced to the family by a dear friend and now an all time favorite. Thank you Tia M. Hope you guys try the recipe and like always don’t forget to tag @beyond.curry when you do.