The days have been kind of wonky with respect to meal times in our house – many breakfasts, elevensies and then lunch/snack at 3pm! I am still trying to make from what we have in our fridge and today is this simple and quick Cheese Toast.
My mum use to make this all the time for my brother and I when we were kids but her version has a lot of butter. Since we will be staying home more, decided to swap that out for a healthier option- greek yogurt. It actually tastes really good. The tanginess of the yogurt really compliments the sharpness of the cheddar.
Quick Cheese Toast
- 4 no sliced bread sourdough or any hearty bread
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt low fat
- 2 tsp sour cream optional
- 1 no shallot or small red onion minced finely
- 1 no bell pepper
- 1 no green chilli finely minced optional
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro or parsley chopped finely
- 1/2 cup cheddar grated white, yellow cheddar or fontina
- 1 tsp black pepper crushed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Slice the bread into 2 pieces and set aside.
- Mix all the other ingredients together and spread it equally on the bread
- Spray/ brush a baking sheet with some olive oil and place the ready bread slices.
- Place in the oven for 5 -7 minutes till you see the cheese starting to melt
- Turn the oven to broil for 2 minutes and then pop the ready snack out.
- Serve it up and enjoy!
I like to use sharp cheddar, a fontina or a raclette for this easy and crowd pleasing snack. Serve it up with ketchup or this green chutney. I promise you snacking will be the new way to eat.
Kids are home and we all need some inspiration. Hope this one makes it to your kitchens and those lil tummies as well.
IF you are vegan, substitute it with non dairy options and it will taste equally delicious. Happy snacking and if you make some please do tag @beyond.curry