Refreshing coolers are a staple in India as the weather gets hotter and drinking your meal is preferred over eating one. In the north of India , ‘Lassi’ is a sweet yogurt based drink. But in the west and south of India its all about “Chaas”- a savory, lighter version of a yogurt drink. It is really quite simple to make and delicious on a warm day.
In my house, we love yogurt and having a batch of home made or store bought goes a long way. Not only is yogurt delicious but is full of probiotics and healing properties when paired with the warmth of ginger, green chilli and black pepper. My son loves it so much that I pack it as part of his lunch on a daily basis.
The main ingredients for this recipe are yogurt, mint, ginger , cilantro and half a green chilli whih is optional- but it gives that little bit of heat that balances the tart and salty flavors really quite well.This is a completely no-cook recipe. Just put everything in the blender and garnish it with some mint. Thats it! You can add some sugar or omit the chilli completely. Really have fun with it but it will be refreshing any which way.
Masala Chaas - Yogurt Cooler
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/2 tsp black salt or regular salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp green chilli chopped optional
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 tsp chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup water
- Blend all the ingredients together. Check for salt and season to taste.
- Refrigerate it for 20 minutes or serve immediately.
- Divide into 3 servings, garnish with some slivered mint leaves or chopped cilantro leaves.
I do not claim to have a green thumb but the mint did come from my backyard. There is something magical about fresh herbs so I highly recommend growing some suited to where you live.
I hope you make this refreshing drink and if you do please tag beyond curry