I love a good cup of coffee and sitting down with a cup and some homemade treats feels quite decadent. But not when I have a batch of these homemade holiday biscotti. Made a batch of this edible gift for a friend’s holiday party tonight and saved myself a few.
The recipe is inspired by one of my favorite baking magazines Bake from scratch that I invariably tend to pick up and add to my grocery cart at checkout! The recipe is simple, delicious and surprisingly healthy for being so decadent.
These keep really well for 3- 4 days in an airtight container and really can be modified to the combination of nuts, fruits and sweetness one likes.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp instant coffee powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp finely chopped rind of orange
- 3/4 cup pitted and chopped dates
- 1 cup finely chopped pistachios
- 1/2 cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate morsels
- 2 no large eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp whole milk or low fat milk
- Preheat oven to 325F (170C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In bowl mixer with a paddle attachment, combine all the dry ingredients, orange rind and stir in the dates, pistachios and chocolate morsels.
- Next mix in the eggs one at a time on low speed till the mix starts coming together. Next add the vanilla extract.
- Continue to beat at low speed till a stick dough forms.
- Now form a 10" x 3 " loaf from the dough on the lined sheet pan.
- Brush the milk on the dough and place in oven to bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove and let it cool completely.
- Move the cooled now log to a cutting board and with a serrated knife cut approx. 1/4 " thick slices.
- Place on the sheet pan and bake for 15 minutes flipping slices at the halfway mark around 7 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
So try making some edible gifts this holiday season and enjoy them with family and friends.
Let me know if you make a batch. For more dessert recipes click here