Baking and the love of baked goods is how I got started with my journey into learning how to cook. Scones are one of my favorite savory baked goods sweet or savory. This Garam Masala Cheese Scone is special y’all.
The very first time I made them is when my good friend and Leandra who owns B&L Creative approached me to document one of my favorite recipes as we sipped coffee, laughed a lot and balanced precariously on step stools in the kitchen! To see more of the process check out her website and a link to the session here.
This recipe is really quite simple and very kid- friendly. You can change the flavor profile to spices that suit you and your loved ones but for us come weekend and its time to settle in with a hot cup of chai and a hot scone.
The recipe calls for two types of cheddar – mild and sharp but feel free whatever is easily available. The garam masala lends that nice warmth of Indian spices to the cheese without being overbearing. As you will see in the process blog, there is something magical when you knead the dough together with clean hands and then shape into these pillows of goodness.
I love to eat my scones fresh from the oven with a dab of homemade orange marmalade (for the recipe click here).
Garam Masala Cheese Scones
- 2 cups all purpose flour / maida (250 gms)
- 2 tbsp fine sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp fine salt/kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder/ kashmiri mirch powder
- 6 tbsp cold unsalted butter cut into cubes
- 1 cup mild cheddar shredded
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar shredded
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 tbsp milk
- sea salt to finish
- Preheat oven to 425F /220C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.Prepare a 8" round tin by greasing and dusting with flour. Alternately you can cut an 8" round out of parchment paper- oil it and put on a cutting board.
- Add the dry ingredients- flour, salt, sugar and baking powder to a food processor. Add the spices and pulse till all combined.
- Add the cold butter cubes and pulse till you get a crumbly mixture.
- Transfer the mix to a large mixing bowl and fold in the cheddar. Next add the heavy whipping cream and mix till everything is combined.
- Now place the dough on a well dusted surface and knead till the mixture comes together. Press the dough into the cake pan or spread on prepared parchment circle cut out to form a disc about 8" wide and 1" tall.
- Turn the pan over to get a perfect disc and cut into 8 wedges. Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Whisk the egg and milk together. Brush the wedges, sprinkle sea salt and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes till the edges are golden brown and your house smells like cheese!
It feels really good when a friend comes and joins you in the kitchen and captures the food and process as beautifully as Leandra did. Thank you girl. Make sure to check out the post to see the process here.
And now for some tasting. Definitely give this a try and as always do tag @beyond.curry.