These quarantine days have brought about so many interesting meet ups albeit virtual and a good drink always plays a part in these gatherings. A couple of weeks ago, I had a fun happy hour with the @atxfoodblogs crew and @devilsrwhiskey.
I was pleasantly surprised by how smooth the whiskey was and while @devilsrwhiskey sent a complimentary box of samples, my favorite has to be the bourbon.
Without further ado, I present to you my Bourbon Caramel Sauce to start the mornings on a high note.
The recipe is quite simple and very versatile. Use it drizzle over a breakfast waffle, a mid day snack of apple slices or a dollop in your coffee.
Bourbon Caramel Sauce
- 1/3 cup vegan butter at room temperature you can use regular butter too
- 1/3 cup jaggery chopped coarsely
- 3 tbsp bourbon whiskey
- 2 tsp orange juice
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add the butter and jaggery, stir and turn the heat to medium heat.
- Continue to stir till both come together and then increase heat to medium high for 2 minutes to bring it to a boil. Reduce heat and add the bourbon and orange juice.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue to stir till the sauce becomes sticky - a good way to test is drop a little in a bowl of cold water. If it sticks together and stringy when you pull , it is ready. Take off the heat and cool completely before transferring to an airtight container.
- It will stay in the refrigerator for 2 -3 weeks depending on how much self control you have.
I really like the earthy tones of jaggery paired with the bourbon and a hint of orange that really brings out the subtle hints of bourbon in the sauce.
I really enjoyed the collection that @devilsrwhiskey has to offer and once we are out and about, hope to make it to the Devils River Whiskey distillery due to open in the heart of downtown San Antonio.
Give this sauce a try and let me know how you like it.