Summer days call for as many no cook recipes as possible and this one is one of the easiest ones! A crowd pleaser, kid favorite and make it the way you like it bowl of goodness. I present to you the “BOMBAY BHEL”.
Bhel is one of my all time favorites and is a popular street food in India and made as a quick snack for the kids and for entertaining when cooking in the summer heat does not seem like such a great idea.
You could substitute any of the add ins, as you like but the green chutney in the recipe will really make it shine. The recipe for the green chutney is here. You can make the date sauce at home or buy it from an Indian or asian grocery store.
- 1 no medium potato boiled and diced
- 1 no small tomato, diced
- 1/2 no small/medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup cucumber finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 2 cups rice puffs
- 3 tbsp green chutney
- 1 tbsp date, tamarind cutney
- 4-6 no puris (fried flour puffs)
- 1 cup sev ( fried noodles/bhujia)
- Mix all the chopped vegetables with the cumin powder ,chilli powder and chutneys.
- Add the peanuts and rice puffs and mix well. Check for seasoning.
- Mix in the sev and crush 3 puris in the mix.
- Transfer to serving bowls, garnish with chopped cilantro and a full puri.
I cannot emphasize how easy and simple this recipe is and this green chutney is a great condiment to have at hand.
So while I enjoy a bowl of this goodness on a hot summer day, hope you give this a try as well. And if you do please do tag beyond.curry and leave a comment here.