I was debating whether I should share this experience with y’all but then it just felt right especially after this bowl of rice pudding rich with memories and where we belong now, came about. I bring to you The Apple Pie Rice Kheer.
This past Friday my husband and I became citizens of the United States. It was one of the most monumental, happy and emotional day of our lives ( well besides falling in love, having our son and building a life together). To celebrate, what was to be with apple pie became this “kheer”- a coming together of our past and present. My mother always made Kheer on festivals and special days like when I passed in Math :). This bowl is all the happy memories that made me feel good.
Apple Pie Kheer
- 1 1/2 cup Reduced fat milk (2%)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 8 green cardamom pods / elaichi crushed
- 2/3 cup short grain or basmati rice (white)
- 2 tsp rose water
- 3 tbsp condensed milk
- 2 tsp unsalted pistachios chopped finely
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple chopped finely
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp water
- In a pan heat the ghee/clarified butter on medium heat. Add the cinnamon stick and saute.
- Add the apples and stir well till they become soft and get a nice color about 5 minutes.
- Follow with milk and water and cook the apple down till they have a slight crunch. Remove from heat and take out the cinnamon stick.
Kheer/ Rice Puddding
- Wash the rice well and set aside.
- Place milk, whole milk, cream and cardamom in a heavy bottomed saucepan over high heat. Once the mix comes to a boil, stir and lower the flame.
- Add rice and bring to a boil. Add a few tbsp of water and stir to make sure everything mixes well together.
- Simmer over medium heat. stirring continuously for 15-20 minutes minutes till the rice is completely cooked. If the pudding becomes too thick add remaining water, stir and take off the flame.
- Remove from heat, add the rose water, cooked apples and condensed milk and stir together.
- Serve hot or cold. Garnish with chopped pistachios.
You can serve it hot or cold. Sprinkle some fresh cinnamon powder and apple pieces. So good!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did making this to celebrate new beginnings in our family. Would love to see y’all tag @beyond. curry #astoryineverybite. Enjoy.